Credits: Photo by Keith Berson & All music in this episode used with the approval of John Craigie
John Craigie is a songwriter´s songwriter.
Known for his captivating live performances, John blends a unique brand of earworm folk music interspersed with humorous stories, daring listeners to reflect on the human condition, often with a smile. (For a tasty dose check out his live album “Opening For Steinbeck”)
John’s poignancy, humor, and reflections from life as a nomadic troubadour spill into his music where he takes you on a ride that might end in tears, laughter, or some other unexpected emotion…you just never know. Either way, you’ll be glad you spent time absorbing his art. As Rolling Stone Magazine said, “It’s hard to immerse yourself in a Craigie album and not emerge elated.”
Tune in to this episode to discover John’s unique perspective on nomad life as a DIY musician, hear his advice on how to pursue your true calling (and stick with it), learn what makes a great story and why humor is so important, thoughts on the craft of songwriting, and much more.
If you have a passion for music, travel, and great storytelling you’ll love this episode with one of my all-time favorite artists.
After listening be sure to check out John’s last album “Asterisk The Universe” and feel free to share your thoughts by sending me an audio message.
Don’t forget that if you want access to the private Zero To Travel podcast feed, a bonus episode every month (decided on by YOU), exclusive content, direct access to me to answer your questions, and more. Check out Zero To Travel Premium Passport.
Today’s episode is being sponsored by the amazing folks over at Wildly Goods which helps to keep me (and my feet) ridiculously comfortable and blister-free through all seasons. Use the promo code Travel10 to get 10% off your first purchase.
Tune In To Learn:
- 07:50 Differences in Touring In America vs. Europe
- 12:25 Nomadic Touring: Living In A Van
- 14:20 How Nomadic Life Can Aid In Following Your Dreams
- 19:25 Lessons Learned From DIYing Your Life & Hustle
- 22:40 Creating A Legacy & Learning From Your Artistic Ancestors
- 25:20 What Makes A Great Story
- 28:20 The Intersection Of Travel & Music
- 32:40 How Quarantine Life Affected John
- 36:10 Songwriting During The Last Year & What It Means To John
- 40:20 Duality Of Being An Artist/Musician: Balancing The Ego
- 46:20 Is There A Spiritual Element To Song Writing
- 50:00 Why Humor Should Be Found Everywhere Especially In Music
- 52:30 Finding Your Confidence While Also Finding Your Sense Of Realism: Your Purpose
- 55:05 What Is The Definition Of Success & The Existential Crisis
- 01:00:10 Asterisk The Universe & Nomads
- And so much more
- Join Zero To Travel Premium Passport
- Wildly Goods w/ promo code Travel10 – Today’s Sponsor
- Find John on his website
- Follow John on Facebook | Instagram | YouTube
- Listen to John on Apple | Spotify
- Location Indie
- Camp Indie
- How A Year Of Travel Can Change Your Life: One Band’s Story
- The Power Of Never Giving Up With Andy Frasco
- Ireland: Travel, Music, & History w/ Garvan Rushe
- Experimental Travel & Music
- All Things Travel w/ Sebastian Modak
You're almost there!
Drop your email below so we can send your FREE course!