Alastair Humphreys is a National Geographic Adventurer of the Year who decided to trade in his grand adventures for spending an entire year roaming the local map he lived on, measuring just 20km. He’s cycled around the world for four years, raced a yacht across the Atlantic, canoed 500 miles down the Yukon River, and walked the length of the Holy Kaveri River in India (just to name a few!).
So why would someone like Alastair want to explore a single map, just one tiny area at a time near their home? You’d be surprised to discover the kind of impact this could have on someone. In this episode, you’ll hear about his unexpected adventures and the lessons from his experience, learn why adventure really is a mindset, and get practical advice for exploring your own local map.
How did this conversation change your perspective on travel? Will you explore your local grid? Use #singlemap on social media if you do! I’d love to hear your thoughts and hope you’ll share them by sending me an audio message.
- Want access to the private Zero To Travel podcast feed, a monthly bonus episode (decided on by YOU), exclusive content, direct access to me to answer your questions, and more? Click here to try Premium Passport for only $1.
Tune In To Learn:
- How his attitude toward adventure has changed throughout the years
- The notion of “flight shame” and his thoughts on traveling with a low footprint
- The framework he set in his quest to slow down and what it taught him about paying attention
- The awakening he had about our natural environment and how it shifted his passions and perspectives (plus a lesson on making lifestyle changes)
- Why anything can be interesting if you’re interested
- Why it’s possible to have serendipitous moments locally and his biggest regret from the project
- How this allowed him to connect with his home despite not liking where he lives
- Why this was an exercise in mindfulness, and what sitting on a log has to do with knowing your priorities
- How you can find the same fulfillment with your local map (no matter where you live)
- Advice on carving your own path and why he’s optimistic for the world’s future
- And so much more
- Join Zero To Travel Premium Passport
- Subscribe to our FREE newsletter
- Today’s Sponsors – Airbnb, US Bank, Land Rover
- Visit Alastair’s website
- Grab his new book, Local
- Listen to the 99% Invisible podcast
- Download Seek by iNaturalist, Merlin Bird app
- Use #singlemap for your local adventure
- Travel With Intention And Be A Local Everywhere
- Top 5 Reasons For “Slomading” + The Benefits Of Boredom With Tim Marting From Citizen Remote
- Finding Meaning Through Travel w/ Dr. Christopher Daniels
Thanks To Our Sponsors
- Sometimes, it just makes more sense. Book your next group stay with Airbnb!
- This episode is also sponsored by US Bank’s Altitude Connect Visa Signature Card, with the ability to earn up to 5x the points on travel-related expenses like hotels, and rental cars, this card will get you the most return on your next trip.
- You’re up for any challenge that comes your way, and the Land Rover Defender 110 is too. Learn more at landroverusa.com/defender.
You're almost there!
Drop your email below so we can send your FREE course!