What is it that motivates you to travel?
Today I am joined by esteemed travel writer and teacher Rolf Potts to talk about his new book The Vagabond’s Way and dive into how anybody can enrich their lives through maintaining a traveler’s mindset, even at home.
Rolf Potts has reported from over 60 countries for publications like National Geographic, NPR, and Travel Channel. He has lectured all over the world and hosts a yearly writer’s workshop. His travels have brought him through 6 continents, including boating 900 miles down the Mekong in Laos, hitchhiking in Eastern Europe, bicycling in Burma, traveling for 6 weeks across the world with no luggage or bags, and so much more. His first book Vagabonding was published in 2003 and was of paramount importance in my own travel journey.
If you love to travel as much as me, then this episode will be extra special. We dive into exactly how travel changes our inner and outer perspective, allows us to embrace unseen parts of self, and try on new identities. We also discuss how to have micro adventures at home, what it means to feel comfortable in a culture and so much more.
What are your biggest spiritual or philosophical takeaways from your recent travels? I’d love to hear what they are and hope you will share them by sending me an audio message.
Don’t forget that if you want access to the private Zero To Travel podcast feed, a bonus episode every month (decided on by YOU), exclusive content, direct access to me to answer your questions, and more. Click Here To Try Premium Passport For Only $1 and get:
- Access To The Zero To Travel Podcast Archives (300+ amazing episodes and growing)
- One Bonus Episode Per Month (Decided By YOU) + Exclusive Content You Can’t Hear Anywhere Else
- Ask Me (Jason) Your Burning Questions, and Get A Personal Answer!
- All Episodes Ad-Free (From April 2021 Onward)
Today’s episode is brought to you by The North Face – providing athlete-tested Jackets that are proven to be highly insulated, warm, breathable & durable so you can focus on what matters. It’s more than a jacket, it’s a calling to get out and explore. Get yours today in stores or at www.thenorthface.com. This episode is also brought to you by US Bank Altitude Go Visa Signature Card, get 4 X the points on eating out and 2 X the points on groceries, entertainment services, and gas or EV charge stations. Apply today at usbank.com/altitudego to get 20,000 points by spending $1000 in your first 90 days.
Tune In To Learn:
- Thoughts and takeaways from visiting Norway
- What is forest bathing and why it’s a great travel virtue
- Artists and thinkers who have made an impact on Rolf’s travel mindset
- What the pandemic has taught Rolf about travel
- Why what’s on your bucket list matters less than what you do when you get there
- What it means to take the travel attitude home with you and how to do it
- Practical ways you can explore new locations based on your interest
- What it was like to live in a van long before the van life movement
- How to overcome imposter syndrome and give yourself permission to live your travel dreams
- Why it’s important to travel for your own growth rather than other’s
- How to pay attention to life, practice gratitude, and make the most of the moments we have
- What motivated Rolf to write his most recent book and a secret look inside
- Why having a mission while traveling can drastically change the experience
- How to occupy time instead of managing it
- Why it’s important to travel first and become a digital nomad later
- Insights on navigating the complicated relationship between travel and technology
- What it means to feel a part of a culture
- Tips for travelers who want to write about their experience
- And so much more
- Join Zero To Travel Premium Passport
- The North Face & US Bank Altitude Go Visa Signature Card – Today’s sponsors
- Learn more about Rolf Potts
- Get your copy of The Vagabond’s Way
- Listen to the Deviate podcast
- Sign up for the Paris Writing Workshop
- Follow Rolf on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter
- How Travel Can Improve Your Mental Health w/ Gilad Gamliel
- Enjoy The Process Of Everything With Dylan Magaster
- How To Take A Leap of Faith and Change Your Life w/ Jana Schuberth
You're almost there!
Drop your email below so we can send your FREE course!