How often do you find yourself getting off the beaten path & how have those experiences shaped you?
Today I have travel writing legend Joe Cummings as my guest and he wrote the very first Lonely Planet Guide book to Thailand back in the early ’80s and we will dive into what that was like plus we talk about what guide books have done to travel (the good, the bad, & the ugly), what the benefits are for getting off the beaten path, and he shares tons of stories that encompass his entire travel writing career including one with Mick Jagger. Do I need to pick up that name I just dropped?!
This is definitely a not to miss episode for anyone who loves travel & the stories that come from it so sit back relax, grab your favorite beverage and enjoy my time with travel rock star Joe Cummings.
What is your favorite travel story? Send me an audio message (please) or shoot me an email over at Jason@ZeroToTravel.com.
I am so excited to partner with HomeExchange.com who makes it possible to see the world without paying for accommodations. Make sure you listen to the entire podcast to get the promo code to save you some extra cash when you get your first exchange.
Tune In To Learn:
- 08:15 Why Bangkok?
- 11:15 For The Love Of Travel
- 15:30 From Quaker College To Travel Writing Rock Star
- 20:15 The Experience of Writing The Thailand Guidebook
- 25:10 Opening Up Via The Language
- 27:00 Finding The Balance Between Feeling & Communicating In Guidebook Writing
- 31:50 The Impact Of Guidebooks: The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly
- 38:40 Tips On Finding & Getting Off The Beaten Path
- 40:20 Stories On Travel & Getting Lost
- 46:25 Travel & Technology In Modern Times
- 51:45 Eastern Philosophies & The Influence On Travel
- 56:35 Fundamental Mindset Shifts From Living Outside The U.S.A.
- 01:02:10 Hanging With Mick Jagger
- 01:04:30 Advice On Travel & Honing Your Craft
- 01:07:35 Would You Do Anything Differently?
- 01:08:40 What Does The Future Of Travel Look Like?
- 01:10:40 Experiencing The Real Thailand Tips & Tricks
- 01:14:05 Most Proud Moments In Life
- And so much more
- Find Joe On His Website
- Follow Joe on Twitter | Instagram
- CNN Article: Plenty of Whiskey, Few Backpackers: The Wild Story Behind Lonely Planet’s First Thailand Guidebook
- CNN Article: Tattoos, Karaoke and a Touch of Film Noir: What It Was Like To Work With Anthony Bourdain in Thailand
- Sacred Tattoos Of Thailand
- Location Indie
- Behind The Scenes With Adventure Travel Journalist w/ Jayme Moye
- How To Get Paid To Travel As A Freelance Travel Writer
- How To Become A Professional Travel Writer
Please head over to the archives for more Zero To Travel podcasts!
You're almost there!
Drop your email below so we can send your FREE course!