Today, I’m joined by Nikki Vargas to explore how her relationship with travel has developed and changed over the years and the impact it’s made on the trajectory of her life.
Nikki is the senior editor at Fodor’s Travel, a bestselling author, and a public speaker. Her recent book, Call You When I Land, whisks readers away through the countries that brought her new love, self-discovery, and the inspiration to launch the first feminist travel publication, Unearth Women.
In this episode, Nikki talks about her new memoir, that time she called off her wedding two weeks before the big day (and the consequences), and how she’s built a career as a travel journalist. She shares her experience in reconnecting with her Columbian roots, advice for making tough decisions and living a life of travel, creating your own path to break into an industry, and much more.
How has travel influenced making hard decisions in your life? I’d love to hear your thoughts and hope you’ll share them by sending me an audio message.
- Want access to the private Zero To Travel podcast feed, a monthly bonus episode (decided on by YOU), exclusive content, direct access to me to answer your questions, and more? Click here to try Premium Passport for only $1.
Tune In To Learn:
- The creative process of writing her memoir and how it was a cathartic experience
- Making the choice to do what’s right for your life and the ripple effect of calling off her wedding
- Why travel was essential to the evolution of who she wanted to become
- What makes travel both escapism and realism and the defining moment that set her course as a writer
- Why she chooses to make her heritage a prominent part of her work
- Her love/hate relationship with travel blogging and why it made her feel empty
- Advice for bridging the gap between where you are and where you want to be (and doing it your way)
- Why you should never underestimate your impact no matter your follower count
- What she learned from launching (and killing) the first feminist travel publication
- The value in revisiting places you’ve already been
- And so much more
- Join Zero To Travel Premium Passport
- Subscribe to our FREE newsletter
- Today’s Sponsors – Airbnb, US Bank, Land Rover, Uncommon Goods
- Visit Nikki’s website
- Follow her on Instagram
- Life-Changing Trips, Interviewing Music Legends, Backpacking the World, and Fostering Transformative Connections with Tony Fletcher
- “Universe, I Trust You” – An Experiment on Letting Go with Roberta Mussato
- Silence in the Age of Noise with Legendary Explorer Erling Kagge
Thanks To Our Sponsors
- Sometimes, it just makes more sense. Book your next group stay with Airbnb!
- This episode is also sponsored by US Bank’s Altitude Connect Visa Signature Card, with the ability to earn up to 5x the points on travel-related expenses like hotels, and rental cars, this card will get you the most return on your next trip.
- You’re up for any challenge that comes your way, and the Land Rover Defender 110 is too. Learn more at landroverusa.com/defender.
- Get 15% off your next gift from Uncommon Goods by visiting uncommongoods.com/travel.
You're almost there!
Drop your email below so we can send your FREE course!