Is a trip to Africa on your list? Today, I’m joined by Sasha and Megnote Lezhnev to get their list of the top 10 hidden gems in East Africa.
In this episode, Sasha and Megnote talk about what it took for them to take a career break to travel full-time as a family and share practical advice for anyone wanting to do the same. You’ll learn about their connections with Africa, Sasha’s nonprofit that helps to reintegrate former child soldiers and refugees, and how they’re helping others get off the beaten path and explore hidden gems all over the world.
You’ll learn about a standout Ethiopian destination that you won’t see on any other top lists, an incredible (and affordable) place to experience gorilla trekking, lively cities, towns, and local scenes that deserve to be a main attraction of your trip, and so much more!
What spots are you adding to your Africa itinerary? I’d love to hear your thoughts and hope you’ll share them by sending me an audio message.
- Want access to the private Zero To Travel podcast feed, a monthly bonus episode (decided on by YOU), exclusive content, direct access to me to answer your questions, and more? Click here to try Premium Passport for only $1.
Tune In To Learn:
- The perceived challenges of full-time travel and the practical exercises that gave them the momentum to fulfill their dream
- How Sasha is working to reintegrate former child soldiers and refugees, and the joys and intensities of this work
- The realizations that Megnote came to about her career after traveling so long
- How they’re turning their passion for hidden gems into a business
- Where you can get up close to an active volcano and experience magical geothermal landscapes
- A sanctuary where you can walk with white rhinos in their own territory
- Where you can have a less touristy and picturesque safari experience
- The colorful city where you can feed wild hyenas and experience local culture
- The lesser-known spots for tracking mountain gorillas
- Which islands have the most epic beaches you may ever experience (+ are less touristy)
- And so much more
- Join Zero To Travel Premium Passport
- Subscribe to our FREE newsletter
- Today’s Sponsors – Airbnb, US Bank, Land Rover, Uncommon Goods
- Learn more about Grassroots Reconciliation Group
- Check out more hidden gems at Off the Beaten Travel
- Follow Sasha on Instagram and LinkedIn
- Safari 101: How To Plan A World-Class African Safari (Without Going Broke)
- Adventure and Conservation: A 6000 km Tuk Tuk Journey Through Africa
- National Geographic’s Best of the World: Where to Travel in 2024 and Beyond (With Senior Editor Allyson Johnson)
Thanks To Our Sponsors
- Sometimes, it just makes more sense. Book your next group stay with Airbnb!
- This episode is also sponsored by US Bank’s Altitude Connect Visa Signature Card, with the ability to earn up to 5x the points on travel-related expenses like hotels, and rental cars, this card will get you the most return on your next trip.
- You’re up for any challenge that comes your way, and the Land Rover Defender 110 is too. Learn more at landroverusa.com/defender.
- Get 15% off your next gift from Uncommon Goods by visiting uncommongoods.com/travel.
You're almost there!
Drop your email below so we can send your FREE course!