What’s the best way to see a new place? Without a doubt, by meeting the people who live there. I can’t begin to explain how many amazing experiences I’ve had just because I ended up talking to a local.
In this – the first episode in a two-part series – I talk with Travis and Heather Sherry from Extra Pack of Peanuts about the best ways to meet the locals when you’re traveling.
In this episode we share the first eight strategies you can use to get to know the people who live in the place you’re visiting, so that you can get to know their culture, beliefs, and daily life.
To hear the final eight strategies, listen to part 2!
In this episode you’ll learn:
- How to travel to increase your chance of having interesting interactions with locals
- Where to stay to meet locals
- What to eat to meet locals
- Why you should use public transport
- What activities to do to meet locals
- How Travis and Heather changed a man’s life by hiring him as a tour guide
- Why being a lost tourist is a great opportunity
- Why to avoid chains while you’re traveling
- 16 Ways To Meet Locals – Part 2
- Extra Pack of Peanuts
- Extra Pack of Peanuts podcast
- Podcast interview with Colin Wright
- Podcast episode on volunteering
- Top 10 Things to Do in Siem Reap, Cambodia
- Location Indie
Photo credit: Peter Halling Hilborg