If a new opportunity comes your way, are you ready to take it?
When this week’s guest, professional photographer and loyal listener Leslie McKellar, was forced to move out of her apartment in 2020 because of toxic mold, she took it as an opportunity to reevaluate her trajectory. After realizing her calling to travel full-time, she set out a plan to make it happen and left for Europe in January 2022.
This week’s interview is extra special because not only was it recorded in person but I also met Leslie 8 months into her travels so she has some fantastic insights to share from her experience.
You will not want to miss what she has to say about how she budgeted for the trip, advice on how to pick the right destinations, valuable lessons from curveballs along the way, why traveling can help you reset, a 60-second challenge to help you find new adventures, and so much more.
What are your takeaways from the 60-second challenge? I’d love to hear about them and hope you will share by sending me an audio message.
Don’t forget that if you want access to the private Zero To Travel podcast feed, a bonus episode every month (decided on by YOU), exclusive content, direct access to me to answer your questions, and more. Click Here To Try Premium Passport For Only $1 and get:
- Access To The Zero To Travel Podcast Archives (300+ amazing episodes and growing)
- One Bonus Episode Per Month (Decided By YOU) + Exclusive Content You Can’t Hear Anywhere Else
- Ask Me (Jason) Your Burning Questions, and Get A Personal Answer!
- All Episodes Ad-Free (From April 2021 Onward)
Today’s episode is brought to you by The North Face – providing athlete-tested Jackets that are proven to be highly insulated, warm, breathable & durable so you can focus on what matters. It’s more than a jacket, it’s a calling to get out and explore. Get yours today in stores or at www.thenorthface.com. This episode is also brought to you by US Bank Shopper Cash Rewards Vista Signature Card, earn up to 6% cash back at selected stores. Visit https://usbank.com/shopper to get $250 Cashback after spending $2000 in the first 120 days of opening your account. We are also proudly supported by the About the Journey podcast. Host Oneka Raymond takes you around North America to answer the question what does it mean to travel better? Search for About the Journey today wherever you get your podcasts! Zero to Travel is brought to you by Better Help, visit their website today to get 10% off your first month of services.
Tune In To Learn:
- Why toxic mold was the unexpected launching point for Leslie’s travel dreams
- What made Leslie decide to seize the opportunity to travel long term
- Reasons why saying traveling is like hitting a reset button
- How it felt to finally leave on a trip that was 2 years in the making
- The strategy Leslie used to budget and plan accommodations
- How Leslie has navigated visas renewals during her year abroad
- What type of unexpected challenges have arisen during Leslie’s time abroad
- Why Leslie took climate and weather into account when seeking destinations
- Leslie’s experience being a solo female traveler
- A few of Leslie’s favorite moments abroad
- The biggest differences between slow travel and a quick trip
- How this journey impacted Leslie’s perspective on her career
- Why Leslie decided to leave her photography equipment at home
- The biggest takeaways from nearly a year of traveling
- Why it is a bigger risk to not seize the opportunity
- A 60-second challenge to everyone
- And so much more
- Join Zero To Travel Premium Passport
- The North Face, US Bank Shopper Cash Rewards Vista Signature Card, About the Journey, & Better Help
- Check out Leslie’s Photography
- Follow Leslie McKellar on Instagram
- Only $50 And A Dream: Biking Across The USA Solo With Zero Experience with Jasmine Reese
- Transition To Travel: Melinda’s Story
- Shamans, Solo Travel, and a Healing Path
You're almost there!
Drop your email below so we can send your FREE course!
Want to Travel More?
You need a plan. Sign up to access this mini-course, get exclusive content and join our amazing community of travelers. It’s all FREE!