Trying to figure out what volunteer opportunity to choose can be a very confusing and difficult process. Finding volunteer projects on your own so you don’t have to pay to volunteer is even more challenging.
How do you know that the organization is doing good work? Will the project be the right fit for you?
In this podcast episode, Shannon O’Donnell, author of The Volunteer Traveler’s Handbook, shares the secrets on how to find ethical international volunteering opportunities to help you find your own perfect volunteer project at no cost anywhere in the world.
Shannon has been traveling the world and volunteering abroad since 2008. Give this interview a listen. She shares incredibly actionable advice and tips on how to find and choose the right volunteer opportunity for you and what to expect.
Click play on the bar under the main picture to hear this podcast or:
Shannon also shares why she created her global volunteer network, Grassroots Volunteering, and how it can help you find the perfect project.
In this episode you’ll discover:
- How to avoid spending thousands of dollars and volunteer at no cost
- What ethical volunteering means
- How to decide what opportunities are right for you
- Why researching beforehand is important
- What questions to ask any organization to ensure they are a good to work with
- How to show up anywhere in the world and find volunteer work
- What makes you the ‘Volunteer from hell” and how to avoid it
- How spending money on regular services can be a form of volunteering
- And so much more!…
Grassroots Volunteering – Free Global Volunteer Network
The Volunteer Travelers Handbook – The Ultimate Guide to Volunteering Abroad
Shannon’s current volunteer work in Africa